Chapter 10 THE CONGRESS
Answer the following fully:
1. What is the difference between a term and session of congress? (263-4)
2. How many members are there in the House of Reps.? How many Reps. does California have? What is the total number of members in Congress (House and Senate combined)?
3. Why does Ca. have so many Reps.?
4. What is reapportionment and how does it work? (267-8 fully explain)?
5. Look at the map on page 268 and answer the following:
a. Which States have only one Rep.?
b. Which States lost Reps?
c. Which States gained Reps?
d. Why have the "Rust Belt" states lost and the "Sun Belt" states gained Reps. (Listen carefully in class and I'll tell you!)?
6. What date is given for congressional elections (269 be specific)?
7. What is a single-member district vs. voting at-large for Reps.? (270)
8. Literally, what is Gerrymandering? (271)
9. What are the qualifications to be a member of the House? (272)
10. Prior to the 17th Amendment, how were Senators "selected"? (276)
11. What are the qualifications to be a member of the Senate? (277-8)
12. Look at the cartoon on page 278 and explain, according the the cartoon, how Senators were selected in the late nineteeth century?
13. What is the oversight function of Congress and WHY is it soooo important? (281)
14. Make a list of the salary and other compensations or benefits members of Congress are offered. (282-4)