Homework for 9/23
Homework due Sept. 23, be ready for a quiz
Chapter 6 Voting Rights:
1. What do Suffrage and Franchise mean?
2. What is the electorate and what is the approximate number in this country?
3. What are the current voter qualifications in this country?
4. What is a poll tax and how were they used?
5. READ page 158 and explain why voter apathy is dangerous to our democracy?
6. How did the 15th amendment affect former slaves and why was it not enforced?
7. What is gerrymandering?
8.What did the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Voting Rights Act of 1965 effectively to for blacks in America?
9.What is preclearance and how does it work?
10. Create a list (10) of reasons why people don't vote.
Extra-credit possibility: list and explain some possibilities to encourage and expand voting in the future. Please be serious here